Thursday, September 25, 2008

Will It Ever Be Finished?

The never-ending apartment renovation...

It's kind of the story of my life or at least the apartments that I choose to rent.


About 5 years back when I moved into an apartment on The Strand in Manhattan Beach, the landlord decided to renovate their house and the apartment I was living in was part of their property so it was included in the renovation. The renovation took less than a year and I survived (I say this because I was working from home at that point too) reframing window spaces, new windows, removal of stucco, metal plates, insulation, replacement of insulation, metal plates, stucco, replacement of roof tiles and new brick walkway. While it was messy, loud, a pain to find the workers every time I wanted to leave because their truck was blocking my garage, the workers were really nice, clean (swept every day), no communication issues, AND FAST.


Then I moved to El Segundo and lived in peace for a year. Then the building changed ownership and the landlord decided to renovate the apartment building. All of the renovations have been beneficial but its just the pain of working through and living through the process. Its been a kind of on again/off again thing because the workers haven't been as reliable or fast and definitely not as clean. Anyways after a year+ hiatus, it looks like we are in the homestretch. The plan is in the next three weeks there will be sandblasting (to take off the outer coat of paint on the building, building out of the roof, tiling of the roof, painting of the outside of the building, redo'ing the deck and landscaping.

Last Friday this lovely drapery went up around the building. I think its to protect the neighbors from the eyesore. Either way it makes my apartment darker and me sleepy during the day since I refuse to work with the lights on.



Today was sandblast day. They taped up my windows and doors for 5 hours with me inside.
Here's what my apartment looked like from the inside - pretty dark other than the light from my computer, huh? I broke down and turned on the lights to work. It was really weird to have no lights and it kind of made me think of those people that are imprisoned in basements or boxes and stuff. It would be pretty scary.

Anyways the black stuff is off the windows and doors and I'm free to go. I've gotta get out of the house for a bit. Off to the gym.

1 comment:

boo and stacy said...

that is nuts. i drove by the other day and thought.....does she live there right now? thought they may have set you up in a sweeeeet hotel! haha.

i bet it will look great when its done!!