Sunday, December 23, 2007

Move over Betty Crocker

Well just for one night...Baking really doesn't rate very high on my list of favorite things to do. Love to cook, hate to bake. Hate is probably too strong of a word. I just don't really enjoy it - I guess its because its messy and sticky and I'm not a big sweets person.

Anyways my mom decided to give her 8 siblings each a tin of cookies for Christmas so I decided to help and try my hand at baking a few different things this afternoon in my super small kitchen. It turned into a 8 hour process - not sure if that's because I made 5 different things or because I'm just slow at baking. Headed to the grocery store in the late afternoon - when you don't bake, you really don't have baking stuff in the house. Although, I do have the baking tools. KitchenAid Mixer is pretty fun.

Welcome to Shannon's mini-mart

The first thing I tackled was English Toffee. First batch didn't turn out so well (probably because I wasn't listening when Gail gave me the instructions over the phone and of course I didn't write them down).
Next was Magic Bars (Jen's recipe)

Then came Chocolatety Raspberry Crumb Bars. http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=32066

Steph came over to keep me company and mix up some rice krispie treats.

Before I embarked on the final round of sweets, I took a break, and Steph and I went to Candy Cane Lane in El Segundo to check out the lights. So much fun seeing a neighborhood get in the Christmas spirit and go all out to decorate their houses. It's only a block and 5 minutes away so my break was pretty quick. Back to Baking...

Chef Colts gives his approval for my attempt at Beth's Spicy Oatmeal Raisin cookies that just came out of the oven. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beths-Spicy-Oatmeal-Raisin-Cookies/Detail.aspx

My second attempt at the English Toffee. I think this batch turned out okay. We'll see tomorrow morning after it sets. I added some pecan pieces (I wonder if that is okay?).

Sam and Sarah taste tested everything and gave it their seal of approval so I'm guessing it all turned out how it was supposed to.

But....I still don't love baking.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Shan,
Thanks for putting on the Betty Crocker apron to bake cookies for the cookie tins. Everything looks yummy! Chef Colts approves too!
Mom

Susie said...

You are offiially crazy.
But I love you anyway & by the way- your bangs are adorable :) Have a Merry Christmas!!

the.beauty&theashes said...

your blog is sweet!!! sorry your not really into baking (it doesn't really float my boat either!!!) check my blog out:journey4asnwers.blogspot.com

Nicole Svendsen said...

for not liking to bake--you sure did ALOT of baking...i agree the bangs are cute!