Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Student Driver Alert!!!

I remember the minute I turned fifteen, I couldn't wait to start driving. After I had my permit, every time I went anywhere, I would ask my mom or my dad if I could drive and then once I got my license it was FREEDOM to go to my friends houses, to movies, to the mall.

In El Segundo with everyone living within walking distance, the teenagers don't seem to anxious to get their driver's license. All of Sam's friends are sixteen or older and don't have their license, some don't even have their permit.

Before Sam even turned fifteen, Brigitte wanted him to learn to drive so over the last two weeks Sam took an online drivers ed course and on Monday, July 28th we went down to the DMV and he took and passed his permit test.



Even though he had his permit, the requirement is that before he can legally drive with an adult, he has to have two hours of behind the wheel with a driving school so later the same day Sam had his first two hours of behind the wheel instruction (we had gone out driving a few days before in parking lots and after he got his permit we drove the streets of El Segundo - mainly because his first lesson started at the Galleria at 6p and I figured it wouldn't be good for his first time on the road to be during rush hour on Hawthorne). He did really well in his first two hours. The instructor had him drive on the busy streets and go all the way down to San Pedro and then back to El Segundo. He even wanted to take him on the freeway but Sam opted not to at that point.


Why the rush to do everything the same day??? We were heading out on the roadtrip the next morning, and I wanted him to legally be able to drive with me.

It was pretty cool to see how excited he was when he got his permit and every time he drives since it was like pulling teeth to get him to even want to drive.



1 comment:

Erik said...

congratulations Sam!!!