Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Did you vote?

So I must admit that when I was legally allowed to vote at the age of 18, I didn't. Nor did I for quite a few elections after that. Honestly I didn't feel like I was knowledgeable enough about the presidential candidates to warrant voting.

Then I grew up...and realized that if I wanted to vote I needed to educate myself on the candidates, propositions, etc.

Now I can proudly say that for the past 3 election days (including today) I have gone to the polls and voted. I'm slightly more knowledgeable although I didn't realize there were 5 candidates for President (did you?) or know half of the candidates running for judical positions and what about the poor teacher/coach running for the water position against what looked like the head of the water department.

Anyways for the most part I'm pretty comfortable in conversations except discussing two areas - of course religion and politics. Let me explain that a bit further. I love talking about my faith, but I am pretty nervous when it comes to talking to a non-Christians about the facts because like politics I never feel knowledgeable enough to debate.

So why am I going on and on about voting and politics (and then bring religion into the mix) well because I was at the gym (after I voted) watching The View and these women defend their pick for President and have somewhat watched the debates, the critics after the debates, the commercials and the mudslinging, each of them on the cover of People and US Magazine and truly newsworthy mags as everyone tries to build up and pick apart each of the candidates and their running mates and me being the relational person that I am sat wondering how many have gotten caught up in their passion for a candidate and how many friendships have suffered for it. I know, I know but what else do I have to think about while I'm on a cardio machine.

Anyways then I went a bit deeper and came to the realization that as we so often forget, we are a lucky and blessed country. We have the privilege to choose our leaders and in today's election, we have two good candidates otherwise why would everyone be battling back and forth on their stance on issues and their character. We don't live in a country where there is a monarchy or a communist government or anything else that is so far from the freedom that we have always known.

So hopefully you had the opportunity to vote today.

Okay back to the photo blogging. This is all too serious!!! Geez not even a pic of the I Voted sticker.

3 comments:

Nicole Svendsen said...

I agree with your post...except that there were TWO good candidates:)

boo and stacy said...

preach it sista!

The Smith family said...

I voted for the first time today. I felt the same way as you as far as voting when I was younger. Glad to hear I was not alone.